The whole passage endeavors to focus on the choice of a believer.
How do you know what is right?
Someone comes with a prophetic word, gospel, sermon, viewpoint of the current situation. How do you know this is true? How do you know which is God?
False means to be untrue. Simply put…. The lie.
1John 4 gives a few solutions but maybe we should step back and see what the “spirits” of their tine were saying.
- Circumcisions are still needed. Rom 2:25 to 29
- Idolatry 1 Cor 10
- Sensuality Jud 1:4
- defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones. Jude 1:8
The list is endless. Basically he is not just talking about a prophetic word at church. He is talking Doctrine, Truth, Basic belief. Behind all of these things that want to deceive you is a spirit.
Do not be Deceived!
I want to give some guidelines on preveting deceit. All things you do and believe should be tested by this.
- Does the doctrine confess Jesus Christ? Does it draw you into a closer more pationate relationship with Jesus, holy Spirit and thr father
- Is the doctrine built on the power of Jesus Christs sacrifice and victory over death? Jesus lived a perfect life, died for our sins and was raised from death.
- Is Jesus God?
- Will this idea, doctrine or desire bring you closer to God’s written plan for the world/church?
- Does this idea place attention on mans ability and sacrifice or God’s?
- Is the word or prophecy from God? Is it confirmation or new?
Test the spirits!
What do you do when you find a spirit not of God