Studying the biblical doctrine of believers leads us to a deeper understanding of what believers should be busy with. We can so very easily be distracted and lead astray….. Like sheep. Just a whimper of interest draws us away. Clear doctrine to get to the heart of truth is of the utmost importance. We have both limited time and energy. We can’t spend more time, because we have only 24hrs. We can’t spend more energy because we are all perssured and overworked.
Every believer should be focussed on the Kingdom. Busy with the “things of the Lord”.
The bible uses the word “Pursue” in a few different passages to describe what should keep our attention. Let’s start by taking a look at the word “Pursue”.
1. follow or chase (someone or something). “the officer pursued the van”
synonyms: go after, run after, follow, chase, give chase to; More
2. persistently seek to form a sexual relationship with (someone). “Sophie was being pursued by a number of men”
3. seek to attain or accomplish (a goal) over a long period. “should people pursue their own happiness at the expense of others?”
synonyms: strive for, push towards, work towards, try for, seek, search for, quest (after), be intent on, aim at/for, have as a goal, have as an objective, aspire to
The word pursue then is a verb to explain the behaviour of an individual who is both focused, persistent and goal driven to attain something.
1 Corinthians 14:1 - Pursue love and be eager for the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy.
1 Thessalonians 5:15 – See that no one pays back evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all.
1 Timothy 6:11 – But you, as a person dedicated to God, keep away from all that. Instead pursue righteousness, godliness, faithfulness, love, endurance, and gentleness.
2 Timothy 2:22 – But keep away from youthful passions, and pursue righteousness, faithfulness, love, and peace, in company with others who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
Hebrews 12:14 – Pursue peace with everyone, and holiness, for without it no one will see the Lord.
1 Peter 3:11 – And he must turn away from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it.
As believer we need to pursue these things.
There is however 2 obstacles!
1. How do you pursue a behaviour?
- How do you persue something without knowing it?
- Behaviour is difficult to pursue because it is in competition ith something else.
- It’s like chasing Suzy while dating July.
2. How do you pursue all of these forms of behaviours together?
- It might be possible to pursue love…… But how do you pursue holiness at he same time, and then add patience.
All of these fruits. All of these behaviours are captured in one thing – one entity
Romans 9:30-33 – What shall we say then? – that the Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness obtained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith, but Israel even though pursuing a law of righteousness did not attain it. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but (as if it were possible) by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone, just as it is written,
“Look, I am laying in Zion a stone that will cause people to stumble and a rock that will make them fall, yet the one who believes in him will not be put to shame.”